Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A wall.

Wall is defined as: a. an architectural partition with a height and length greater
than its thickness; b. a difficult or awkward situation.

I ran into both of these that last night. I was drafted for curtain hanging duty at my brother-in-laws new condo. You see I am the only one in the immediate Olson family that is the slightest bit handy. I own a drill and know how to use it. Dirk lives in a large old complex. I had never been there before but was imaging a building much like a college dorm with CEMENT walls. Anticipating this I asked what the walls were made of. I told my family that if the walls were cement that they needed to find a drill bit that could drill through cement as I didn't own one. I was told that the walls were all dry wall. Ok that was good enough for me. I gathered my equipment and headed downtown with my mother-in-law. Over an hour later we arrive. We unload the boxes of stuff that Dirk "needed". We pass the "work-out room", which was 2 exercise bikes in front of a mirror in the hallway, and squeeze into the tiny elevator. At the 7th floor we exit and open the door to Dirks condo. "Wow those are big windows".... "Um, this wall is cement" DOH! I new from across the room. I walk up to the wall and touch it. "Yep the wall is cement". MIL, "No it can't be we were told drywall". "Ok, I'll try to drill it". I was just humoring them of course. I knew it wasn't drywall. Finally, my mother-in-law touches the wall herself. Instantly she knew. HOW did my wonderful brother-in-law NOT know it was cement. Well that's the Olson logic for you. He called the building manager and asked what the walls were made of. He NEVER thought to actually touch the wall himself. Gotta love that Olson logic at work! I will be praying that Dirk's future wife is handy. LOL

So, guess what I'm doing on Saturday night? Yep, take 2 on curtain rod hanging. Wish me luck!

No comments: